Monday, May 13, 2013

BIG STAR The Story Of Rock's Forgotten Band


Although Big Star were together for less than four years and had little commercial success, the influence of their three original albums – #1 Record, Radio City, and Third – continues to grow. Big Star bucked all the musical trends of the ’70s. In an era of glam and prog rock they wrote catchy, radio-friendly power-pop tunes that remain influential today. Artists as diverse as Primal Scream, R.E.M., The Bangles, The Posies, Teenage Fanclub, Jeff Buckley, and Wilco have spoken about the Big Star legacy.

In the decade since the original version of this book was published, Big Star have made a belated fourth album, In Space, and released an acclaimed four-disc retrospective, Keep An Eye On The Sky. The band have also lost two original members, an influential producer, and the photographer of their iconic logo. But interest in the group is as high as ever in the 21st century, with new bands such as Yo La Tengo and Hot Chip – and even pop superstar Katy Perry – carrying the flame.

Now fully updated, and drawing on firsthand interviews with the band, family members, friends, and the major players at Ardent Records, this is the definitive history of rock’s forgotten band.

Rob Jovanovic is the author of numerous books on such diverse subjects as Pavement and Kate Bush, Beck and George Michael, R.E.M. and The Kinks. His books have been published in ten countries and in nine different languages. He is also a contributor to magazines including Mojo and Uncut. He lives just outside Nottingham with his wife and two young children.

The Big Star movie Nothing Can Hurt Me is screening this summer and the accompanying soundtrack featuring alternate mixes is available on Omnivore. Jawbone's superb book will arrive at just the right time when the music of Alex, Jody, Andy and Chris will once again ring out.

The Big Star movie Nothing Can Hurt Me is screening this summer and the accompanying soundtrack featuring alternate mixes is available on Omnivore. Jawbone's superb book will arrive at just the right time when the music of Alec, Jody, Andy and Chris will once again ring out. 

BIG STAR
The Story Of Rock's Forgotten Band
JAWBONE
ISBN: 978-1-908279-36-1
Pictures: 20 b&w
US Price: $19.95
UK Price: £14.95
Pub Date: June 20th 2013

38 comments:

Unknown said...

Good article! Thank you so much for sharing this post. Your views truly open my mind. I will share it with other people.
find out more-Best Running Shoes

Unknown said...

What a great discussion! I'm so delighted to find other people who care about this topic, which I've been puzzling over for a while. Thanks

basement waterproofing long island

Unknown said...

Thank for your writing. I think this give more information which is very popular nowadays.

condos for sale in miami

Unknown said...


I am so fascinated with the entire content of your site, from the material to the theme. I really had a great time reading and watching this post.

siding manufacturer Toronto

Unknown said...


Although I don't agree with all your observations they provide food for thought.animal cancer

ly said...


Thank you for a well written post, it really made me think.office rental Weston Florida

BEST CASIO WAVECEPTOR said...

I am so fascinated with the entire content of your site, from the material to the theme. I really had a great time reading and watching this post.

Unknown said...


The observations you've made are right on, so keep it up!
serviced office Allentown PA

wv58a-1avcr waveceptor atomic digital said...

Thank for your writing. I think this give more information which is very popular nowadays.

halong bay said...

Thank for your writing. I think this give more information which is very popular nowadays.

car accident attorney san diego said...

Although I don't agree with all your observations they provide food for thought.

neead36 said...

I think you hit the nail on the head with your post.
buy facebook followers

halong bay said...

You said exactly what I was thinking in this post and I wanted to say thanks.

buy facebook followers said...

I think you hit the nail on the head with your post.

buy youtube likes said...

The observations you've made are right on, so keep it up!

halong bay said...

You have a unique point of view on the topic and I appreciate that.

buy facebook photo likes said...

What you say is true and I completely agree with your point of view.

buy facebook subscribers said...

I Totally agree with this post, it gives good advice.

buy youtube likes said...

The observations you've made are right on, so keep it up!

tour to halong bay from Hanoi said...

This is a well written blog and I come back often to see new posts.

halong bay cruise said...

this is a good article. I appreciate it, i hope more and your blog posts or more. thanks

buy youtube subscribers said...

Your observations are right on, I agree with most of what you say.

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty blog with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great blog. Good luck to the author! all the best!
buy youtube subscribers

neead43 said...


Interesting point of view and I agree with most of what you say.
things to do in west palm beach

buy youtube likes said...

This post is so well written and it's easy to see you know what you're talking about.

neead42 said...

Your post made me look at the subject from a completely different angle.
buy youtube likes

neead42 said...


The information you provide on this blog is awesome. buy youtube views

neead43 said...

Your observations are right on, I agree with most of what you say.
buy facebook followers

halong bay vietnam said...

Although I don't agree with all your observations they provide food for thought.

buy pinterest followers said...

Thank you for sharing your opinion with me they were greatly appreciated.

Gia hạn visa việt nam said...

The information on this blog is always stimulating to read.

Unknown said...

This subject is very stimulating and I thank you for this great post.
buy instagram followers

Unknown said...

There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well halong bay

Unknown said...

There are a couple of points I don't agree with, but generally I like it. camera 360

neead46 said...

Your blog is so interesting and full of great informa tion that I always come back. buy instagram followers

Troy Bohlke said...

Your have great insight about the subject of your post.

tour to halong bay from Hanoi said...

You said exactly what I was thinking in this post and I wanted to say thanks.

Unknown said...


I like your style of writing, it's very thoughtful. tiền thưởng Forex

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin